The EUROPARASURFING 2023 championship is back! We are stoked to announce that this year the European Surf Federation will be hosting the European Para Surfing Championship along with the Spanish Surf Federation. This event will gather Europe’s best ParaSurfers to compete with their home countries in a Paralympic-style competition.
This event will be held at A Frouxeira beach in Valdoviño (Galicia) between the 1st-7th of July 2023, prior to the ParaSurfLeague Open Spain (6th-9th July 2023, more info here).
Official event registration is now open. To start with the process complete the
Team-Roster_Spreadsheet and email it back to INSERT MY EMAIL or ESF’s EMAIL and then follow the steps outlined below
All online registration paperwork and payments must be received by the ESF by June 20th in order for your team to be registered.
Athletes: Registration cost for Athletes is X€ per athlete.
Classification: All athletes that require a classification assessment must pay the one-time classification fee of X€ (ISA Para Surfing Classification Process – $25, Classification Card – $25). All classified athletes are listed in the Para Surfing Classification Master List, any athletes not on the Master List must pay the classification fee.
Support Personnel and Team Officials: Each National Team is allowed up to five free support personnel registrations. For Nationals Teams with less than 5 athletes, the ratio of free support personnel is 1 per athlete (i.e. a National Team with 3 athlete registrations is allowed 3 free support personnel). Any additional support personnel and team officials must complete a registration payment of X€.
Once the team manager confirms the roster the team will be required to complete payment. Payment is done in the following ways:
- Credit card payment directly through the platform
- Request an invoice to complete a payment via Wire Transfer or Credit Card, if paying with this option please also confirm with INSERT MY EMAIL or ESF’s EMAIL before proceeding with the payment.
Saturday July 1st, 2023
- 1:00 pm – 4:00 pm: Classification.
Sunday, July 2nd, 2023
- 9:00 am – 4:00 pm: Classification.
- 5:00 pm – Technical meeting for athletes, coaches, and event staff.
Monday, July 3rd, 2023
- 8:00 am – Start of the first day of competition.
- 5:00 pm – End of the first day of competition.
Tuesday, July 4th, 2023
- 8:00 am – Start of the second day of competition.
- 5:00 pm – End of the second day of competition.
Wednesday, July 5th, 2023
- 8:00 am – Start of the third day of competition.
- 5:00 pm – End of the third day of competition.
Thursday, July 6th, 2023
- 8:00 am – Start of the fourth day of competition.
- 5:00 pm – End of the fourth day of competition.
Friday, July 7th, 2023
- 8:00 am – Start the final day of the competition.
- 3:00 pm – Awards and closing ceremony.
This event will utilize all 9 divisions based on the ISA. Specific division information for each division is located below the registration form. All surfers MUST surf in the style/manner dictated in the ISA Rules and Regulations for their division without exception! that is, in the kneeling division of PS-K, a surfer must be on their knees with their knee(s) in contact with the board. A surfer in the PS-K kneeling division MAY NOT stand on her foot(s) while riding a wave to be judged.
Athletes who are not already must get classified at this event or prior to arrival. Divisions with low participation might have heats combined with other divisions but will be judged and awarded separately. *We are following the ISA 2021 Para Surf rules at this event, please visit the link below for more information. Go to https://isasurf.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/2021-WPSC-Rulebook-Insert-9-20-21_clean.pdf to view.
The ISA Judging Criteria will be implemented for this event and are defined as follows: Surfers must perform to the ISA judging key elements to maximize their scoring potential.
The judges analyze the following major elements when scoring a ride:
- Degree of Difficulty and Risk
- Innovative and Progressive Maneuvers
- Combination of Major Maneuvers
- Variety of Maneuvers
- Speed, Power, and Flow.
NOTE: It is important to note that the emphasis of certain elements depends on the location and conditions of the day, as well as changes in conditions throughout the day. The following scale can be used to describe a rated trip:
- 0-1.9 = Poor
- 2.0-3.9 = Poor
- 4.0-5.9 = Fair
- 6.0-7.9 = Good
- 8.0-10.0 = Excellent
In case that not clear maneuvers are performed during the competition, the judges will observe the Fundamental Criteria of Surfing as described below and will be emphasized in the ISA Judging Criteria under the Degree of Difficulty or Commitment:
- Surfers who paddle and catch open waves always they will score higher than surfers who catch whitewater (waves that have already broken and do not reform into open waves).
- The surfer who catches an open face wave and rides left or right will score higher than a surfer who catches an open face wave and rides neither left nor right.
- The surfer who catches an open face wave and performs a maneuver will get a higher score than a surfer who rides an open face wave to the right or left but does not perform a maneuver.
- The surfer who catches an open face wave and travels to the right or left and attempts to perform a maneuver but fails by not completing the maneuver 100 percent (maneuvers must be 100 percent complete), will generally earn a score. taller than the surfer riding left or right on an open wave without attempting to maneuver.
- Surfers who perform whitewater maneuvers will only get a higher score than surfers who navigate whitewater without maneuvering.
The ESF has worked together with a local travel agency to offer you discounted rates for selected hotels. All of them have been adapted to meet accessibility standards. In order to secure the spot for your team, reservations need to be made before May 31st, 2023. We can NOT guarantee these offers will remain in June due to the high demand for holidays.
For more information and reservations follow the next link: https://www.viaxesgalitur.com/en/europarasurfing-2023/
Name and contact info of the person(s) in charge: David Gomez (Spanish Surf Federation) +34 638 05 82 48, or email@example.com